There are many different clients out there, some of them good, some of them not so good. Some have lots of features and gizmo’s, others are bare-bones solutions with little more than a download status. If you ask which one is best, you will get a different answer every time, as each person has their own individual favourite and for different reasons.
That’s why I’m not going to try and preach over which one is best and which one you should use! My only advice is to try some and see which ones you do and don’t get on with.
BitTorrent – The Original Client
This is the original BitTorrent client, created by Bram Cohen, the author of the BitTorrent protocol itself. I doubt he thought his work would extend as far as it has! Why not do your karma some good and donate him $$.
Tixati is a new and powerful BitTorrent client. 100% free, contains no spyware, no ads, and no gimmicks. Windows and Linux native versions available.
Why use Tixati?
- Ultra-fast downloading algorithms
- DHT, PEX, and Magnet Link support
- Super-efficient peer selection and choking
- Advanced bandwidth control and charting
- RC4 connection encryption for added security
- Advanced views of peers, pieces, files, and trackers
- Detailed event logging for all transfers and individual peers
µTorrent is the world’s most popular BitTorrent client. Most of the features present in other BitTorrent clients are present in µTorrent, including bandwidth prioritization, scheduling, RSS auto-downloading and Mainline DHT (compatible with BitComet). Additionally, µTorrent supports the Protocol Encryption joint specification (compatible with Azureus 220.127.116.11 and above, BitComet 0.63 and above) and peer exchange.
Vuze (aka Azureus)
Vuze, the client formally known as Azureus has been in development for many years. Written in Java and packed full of features you’ve never even thought of, it was and still is a great client. Many people have opted for one of the more lighter weight options, but Vuze has a strong following with good reason!
- Powerful torrent meta-search with login support for private trackers
- Discover high quality content on the Vuze HD network
- Download quickly and efficiently with intelligent bandwidth, queue and speed management
- Sit back and savor the high-quality entertainment experience
- Now on iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PSP and TiVo
BitComet is a BitTorrent/HTTP/FTP download client!
BitComet is powerful, fast, very easy-to-use, and free to use. They claim the advanced features it contains can accelerate your downloading speed up to 5 – 10 times faster, or more.
- Torrent Share
- Magnet URI
- Preview of .avi .rmvb .wmv and .mov files is available during downloading process
- Intelligent Connection Optimization
- Intelligent Disk Cache
- Quick Resume
- Auto Config ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) and ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in Windows XP
- Auto Config UPNP port mapping in router (UPnP support is required in router, Windows XP is required)
- Option of Disabling and Setting Priority of Files in any torrent
- Also support Multi-tracker, DHT, utf-8 extension, and UDP tracker Protocol v2
Deluge is a full-featured BitTorrent client for Linux, OS X, Unix and Windows. It uses libtorrent in it’s backend and features multiple user-interfaces including: GTK+, web and console. It has been designed using the client server model with a daemon process that handles all the bittorrent activity. The Deluge daemon is able to run on headless machines with the user-interfaces being able to connect remotely from any platform.
Deluge features a rich plugin collection; in fact, most of Deluge’s functionality is available in the form of plugins. Deluge was created with the intention of being lightweight and unobtrusive.
- Core/UI split allowing Deluge to run as a daemon
- Connect remotely to the Deluge daemon
- Web UI
- Console UI
- GTK+ UI
- BitTorrent Protocol Encryption
- Mainline DHT
- Local Peer Discovery (aka LSD)
- FAST protocol extension
- µTorrent Peer Exchange
- UPnP and NAT-PMP
- Proxy support
- Web seed
- Private Torrents
- Global and per-torrent speed limits
- Configurable bandwidth scheduler
- Password protection
- RSS (via Plugin)
Folx is a free download manager for Mac OS X. Its friendly interface will help you make the most of your downloads. It’s not overloaded with tons of unnecessary features and is extremely easy to use. Folx is also a fully integrated download manager for other types of file, offering tight browser integration and link monitoring to make downloading and sorting all of your content easy.
- Fully featured BitTorrent Client and integrated download manager
- Powerful download engine for maximum performance
- High download speed
- Auto-resuming file transfer
- Set the priorities for downloads
- Control time and speed of your downloads
- Split the downloads in several threads
- Detailed log info to check the download process
- Automatic capture of download links
- Broadband support
- Smart tag and folder technology to manage all your downloads
- Growl integration
- Spotlight integration
- Almost all Mac OS X browsers integration
- A wise Floating Window – quick access to your downloads
- User-friendly interface
- Search for torrents directly from the application (PRO Version)
- Scheduling of downloads (PRO Version)
- Smart Speed Adjustment (PRO Version)
- Mac OS X 10.4
- Mac OS X 10.5
- Mac OS X 10.6